The SimsCave
March 28, 2024, 10:34:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download links not working? Click me!

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FAQ: Where have all the box links gone...  (Read 25169 times)
MaryH
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 07:04:34 pm »

First of all, Mediafire is probably feeling the heat from the seizure of that other file site, and not specifically from other sim sites...nameless they will remain in this post, but we all know who they are.

When the Feds seized Megaupload, it sent a shockwave of fear through the file-sharing sites, and this is why Mediafire is being such assholes.
They don't want to get busted and all their stuff taken away from them. They're afraid of every single nasty word and thought going, and everyone is suspect in their minds. So any 'file violation' reported to them (false or not) is going to get files removed, whether or not you're guilty.

I would strongly suggest anyone who can, remove their files and join Box.net as soon as possible. The files will be safer, and the shit will stop. Or else do FTP sharing..old but reliable.

sorasunao
Is now also a mean
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:07:23 am »

Ugh mediafire "replied" to my whining by removing even more of my files. Thanks MF.  Off to search for another file host it is.

Tutorial for uploading pictures

Hey project mediafryer folks: I'm active, no need to grab my files!
Julie J
Cave Scout

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 04:54:35 pm »

I've heard from them too - They've apologised and fixed the problem

TTylo
Cave Scout

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »

I use box.net and have for over 10 years. I have watched people for years have issues with 4shared and Mediafire with their files being removed. *Knock on Wood* 10 years and going strong and not a single file removed with box.net. There have been many people hit by this mediafire violation stuff, I hope it all gets sorted out for all of you.
Julie J
Cave Scout

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »

Annoying they didn't restore the files and I have to upload them though

sorasunao
Is now also a mean
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 05:25:20 pm »

Just out of curiosity, did they mention what caused them to be removed in the first place? Was it some automated procedure that deemed that the files were totally illegal or did someone actually report them? I still have to hear back regarding my removed files... Though I did get five new notes of even more of my files being deleted. =_= I'm just waiting how many it requires for them to terminate my account for good. I'm so happy that I don't pay for them >.>

Tutorial for uploading pictures

Hey project mediafryer folks: I'm active, no need to grab my files!
Julie J
Cave Scout

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 05:34:45 pm »

This is the reply - just said they were suspended in error

Hello,

Thank you for contacting MediaFire.

I apologize for this inconvenience as it appears these files were suspended in error and I have removed the strike from your account.  You should be able to re-upload the files at this time.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

distant_memory
Featured Creator

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 10:53:06 am »

I got a long winded reply that ended with - please supply the download link... I felt like writing back, how can I when you took the file down???
Jemcrystal
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 05:36:36 pm »

I am sorry I am newly introduced to this topic and find it very much a concern.  I am thinking two questions here.  One, is the "reporter" targeting people who have posted here on Sims Cave?  Two, what free alternative does this community suggest besides MediaFire?  I don't want a list of every hosting provider; I want your opinion of one hoster that is the very best of them all.  Thx.
distant_memory
Featured Creator

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:15 pm »

Jemcrystal - I don't know which is the very best, but the most favourable of them are dropbox and box.net; as to the reporter, there are different rumours but the most likely cause is mediafire themselves targeting anything that could be considered breaching their terms of use, so files with the words erotic, sexual, boylove, bdsm or anything with a .mp3, .doc, .epub and so on are at risk as they could be copies of authors works or some such.

It is best if you have anything on mediafire is removed and put somewhere else.
Jemcrystal
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 10:18:30 am »

Jemcrystal - I don't know which is the very best, but the most favourable of them are dropbox and box.net; as to the reporter, there are different rumours but the most likely cause is mediafire themselves targeting anything that could be considered breaching their terms of use, so files with the words erotic, sexual, boylove, bdsm or anything with a .mp3, .doc, .epub and so on are at risk as they could be copies of authors works or some such.

It is best if you have anything on mediafire is removed and put somewhere else.

Just when MediaFire had a sale too.  Dropbox requires a download program which makes me feel invaded.  Box.net requires a phone number which is an extreme no no.  Guess I'll just stay with MediaFire unless they give me problems.  No one else I know of has that much storage space for free.  And really, no matter where you put your stuff you could get legality jumped.
theraven
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 06:18:05 pm »

Mediafire put loads of strikes to my stuff, for no good reason what so ever. One day someone complained that the links no longer worked - and waddayaknow? They'd deleted my account! Thankfully I had a recent backup of the files over there (after their first "remove random files stunt").

So I gave them up and moved over to Dropbox instead. Much happier with what they offer.

Besides - no chances of viruses there. After the Mediafire site got loaded with ads, I've had too many scares with the site. The download pages often jump directly to some full page ad that won't close or go back to the previous, which is either a really annoying ad or a potential virus threat. I barey even dare downloading anything from there anymore, so I'm always glad when I see Box or Dropbox links instead of Mediafire.

I love that I now can just drop my files into a folder and they're almost immediately uploaded, instead of having to click my way through a bunch of folders. I can also update files without having to reupload (as long as they keep the filename, the link works fine). I've had troubles with web-uploaders before (mediafire - I'm looking at you!), due to a sluggish internet connection. Having to download it bothered me at first, but it's no big deal, as it is a much simpler way to upload.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:23:29 pm by theraven » Logged

distant_memory
Featured Creator

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 07:17:56 pm »

Mediafire put loads of strikes to my stuff, for no good reason what so ever. One day someone complained that the links no longer worked - and waddayaknow? They'd deleted my account! Thankfully I had a recent backup of the files over there (after their first "remove random files stunt").

So I gave them up and moved over to Dropbox instead. Much happier with what they offer.

Besides - no chances of viruses there. After the Mediafire site got loaded with ads, I've had too many scares with the site. The download pages often jump directly to some full page ad that won't close or go back to the previous, which is either a really annoying ad or a potential virus threat. I barey even dare downloading anything from there anymore, so I'm always glad when I see Box or Dropbox links instead of Mediafire.

I love that I now can just drop my files into a folder and they're almost immediately uploaded, instead of having to click my way through a bunch of folders. I can also update files without having to reupload (as long as they keep the filename, the link works fine). I've had troubles with web-uploaders before (mediafire - I'm looking at you!), due to a sluggish internet connection. Having to download it bothered me at first, but it's no big deal, as it is a much simpler way to upload.

My ideal would be like I did with the writers site I created, to find a place that I could offer up a place to host files on that users wouldn't have to worry about name issues or uploading problems, but sadly I don't think such places exist without having to fork out money upfront, but hey you never know. Watch this space I may yet find something or somewhere that works well, I am ever hopeful.
candys

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 03:04:51 pm »

whats with uploadet.to or another one click hoster? Cloud or dropbox?
AlfredAskew
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 06:02:59 pm »

So, American authorities -of any sort- are shocked by words including "sex" in them, but they don't mind allowing weapons at schools and students get shot. Got it!

FYI weapons aren't ever allowed on school grounds in America (Okay, maybe in Texas. But that's Texas.), and they're certainly not okay with shootings.

No, this is actually the part where you complain about our overly litigious society, not our violent one. Wink
And you can blame corporations instead of the authorities while you're at it.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

This site is not endorsed with or affiliated by Electronic Arts, or its licensors.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors.
All rights reserved.
Maxis, Electronic Arts, EA Games, The Sims 2 are registered trademarks and � Copyright Electronic Arts Inc.