The SimsCave
March 28, 2024, 03:55:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please check the upload rules before posting creations in the "Custom Content" area

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FAQ: Why is there Nothing New from You - Are You Retired? UPDATED Please Read!!  (Read 10879 times)
distant_memory
Featured Creator

« on: February 26, 2013, 01:55:53 pm »

March 2014 - Update

O_o Gods I have been away a long time  O_o

I am honoured that my work is still to this day appreciated, I am so happy to say that Distant Sims is safe at least for this year. So all my work is still available there or on Sims Writers Garden

I will change back over the links that have changed prolly on Sunday when I have time (I have a billion and three things happening) but that's what I am hoping to do over this weekend smile

In case you are wondering thought I have not retired from developing, creating or converting for Sims 2, but I have not made anything new due a change in circumstances. I started studying and working takes up a lot of my time. I honestly don't see things changing any time soon, so until I can make time and do a good job on the creations there is no point in doing them.

Should I start again, you will find out here within this post, as this message will change.

Thanks for reading and your support it really is amazing ♥

Distant Memory

DM
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:30:07 pm by distant_memory » Logged
Julie J
Cave Scout

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:28:09 pm »

Will you be keeping WG on?

Mzbellaalla
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:52:04 pm »

I hope that everything works out. I really appreciate what you create for The Sims 2. Keep marching on smile Best wish's from me.

distant_memory
Featured Creator

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »

Will you be keeping WG on?

Oh absolutely Julie, that is staying alive as long as people are wanting it to. Writers need a home that has no drama attached and so far WG has given those that have been evicted from other sites a home.

I hope that everything works out. I really appreciate what you create for The Sims 2. Keep marching on  smile Best wish's from me.

Thank you so much Mzbellaalla  blush Comments like that encourage people like me to do more when and as they can.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:32:49 pm by distant_memory » Logged
LisaPham
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »

I hope things have calmed down in your RL situation and get back to being able to do all the things you love doing.

As for your questions... I don't know what you mean by the mention of Mediafire, but personally I wouldn't trust them with a blank text file uploaded for them to keep safe for me... never again.  Anyway, if I was asked, I'd say either redevelope the old one, or start a new site of your own (that's up to you to decide).... as long as there is at least one new item up each week, then it's ok... no need to be a slave to it. It must always remain a joy. smile
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:28:34 pm by LisaPham » Logged

Julie J
Cave Scout

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:06:51 pm »

That's good to know that WG's staying

Also I've never used mediafire since - I use box and now dropbox

distant_memory
Featured Creator

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:06 pm »

I hope things have calmed down in your RL situation and get back to being able to do all the things you love doing.

As for your questions... I don't know what you mean by the mention of Mediafire, but personally I wouldn't trust them with a blank text file uploaded for them to keep safe for me... never again.  Anyway, if I was asked, I'd say either redevelope the old one, or start a new site of your own (that's up to you to decide).... as long as there is at least one new item up each week, then it's ok... no need to be a slave to it. It must always remain a joy. smile

Very true Sims creation has always been a joy for me; things in RL have got better in some ways just a little manic of late in others  tongue I am honestly not complaining, it comes down to not enough hours in a day. In many way the redevelop would cause havoc because there are a lot of links to try and preserve, where as purpose developed and owned for Sims alone would be the best option but then it comes down to hosting, url availability and a few other factors. I have options thankfully its now just getting time to develop and investigate them.

That's good to know that WG's staying

Also I've never used mediafire since - I use box and now dropbox

Yeah as I posted up on their earlier, as long as there is an active member that site is active and remains so. Whether I am owner in name alone, it stays; I made a promise the day it opened and its a promise that is getting kept. No I don't blame you Julie. I've even gone as far as to close the business account I had with them because of it. Soon as I come up with something I will let everyone know.
LisaPham
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:59 pm »

As for hosting... Hostgator is really good... I use it for both our sites (my business site & my Sims site)... Also, I use Wordpress for my site and have 'Comments' turned off, but you could use it with comments turned on, with approval of comments to limit spam... or link it to a Facebook for comments. Wordpress is very easy to use and can be customised to a point. Oh, and namecheap for your domain name, because they're pretty good too.

Anyway, those are a few options you could look into. smile

Julie J
Cave Scout

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:35:25 pm »

I went to Wordpress too it was recommended to me by a dear friend and now I have a nice little new blog there. Dropbox is good and easy to use mainly I still use box.

LisaPham
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:09 pm »

If you have your own hosting for your site and not use what Wordpress gives you, you can host your own downloads...but you can still use an external one as a second link like Box as a backup. smile

I forgot to mention.. Hostgator gives a few options... you can take a 1, 2, 3, or more Year/s contract but you can also do a month by month basis... although the contracts are cheaper... At the moment I'm still on the month by month basis using their Hatchling plan (which is all you'd need)... I'm planning on changing that to a contract in a few months time though (probably for 2 years to start with). Oh... and Hostgator has a QuickInstall if you use Wordpress... apart from needing a Wordpress account, it requires filling in a few details and Hostgator installs the rest for you.

If you even need help setting it up, just give me a holla and I'll be there. smile
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:56:22 pm by LisaPham » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

This site is not endorsed with or affiliated by Electronic Arts, or its licensors.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors.
All rights reserved.
Maxis, Electronic Arts, EA Games, The Sims 2 are registered trademarks and � Copyright Electronic Arts Inc.