The SimsCave
May 02, 2024, 02:30:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read the rules before posting. Especially this one.

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: This is for all of you who packed my parachute  (Read 7708 times)
dachshundsr4me
Featured Creator

« on: June 03, 2008, 11:39:12 pm »

Charles Plumb was a US Navy jet pilot in Vietnam. After 75 combat missions, his plane as destroyed by a surface-to-air missile. Plumb ejected and parachuted into enemy hands. He was captured and spent 6 years in a communist Vietnamese prison. He survived the ordeal and now lectures on lessons learned from that experience.

One day, when Plumb and his wife were sitting in a restaurant, a man at another table came up and said, “You’re Plumb! You flew jet fighters in Vietnam from the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk. You were shot down!”

“How in the world did you know that?” asked Plumb.

“ I packed your parachute,” the man replied. Plumb gasped in surprise and gratitude. The man pumped his hand and said, “I guess it worked!” Plumb assured him, “It sure did. If your chute hadn’t worked, I wouldn’t be here today.”

Plumb couldn’t sleep that night, thinking about that man. Plumb says, “I kept wondering what he might have looked like in a Navy uniform: a white hat, a bib in the back, and bell-bottom trousers. I wonder how many times I might have seen him and not even said Good morning, how are you?’ or anything because, you see, I was a fighter pilot and he was just a sailor.”

Plumb thought of the man hours the sailor had spent on a long wooden table in the bowels of the ship, carefully weaving the shrouds and folding the silks of each chute, holding in his hands each time the fate of someone he didn’t know.

Now, Plumb asks his audience, “Who’s packing your parachute?” Everyone has someone who provides what they need to make it through the day. Plumb also points out that he needed many kinds of parachutes when his plane was shot down over enemy territory-he needed his physical parachute, his mental parachute, his emotional parachute, and his spiritual parachute. He called
on all these supports before reaching safety.

Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important. We may fail to say hello, please, or thank you, congratulate someone on something wonderful that has happened to them, give a compliment, or just do something nice for no reason.

As you go through this week, this month, this year, recognize people who pack your parachute.

Thanks to all of you for packing my parachute because in these last few weeks I could not have made it without your support.

Here is the beautiful attachment that you can watch and read with this story:
http://jamesburchill.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/parachute.pps

Huggles and Thanks,
~~Dachs
Oolong
The Sharing Bunneh
Cave Groupie

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:34:04 am »

oh Dachs!  *great big tackle hugs*

Charles Plumb has a very inspiring story to tell, and so do you... i admire so much how you have been dealing with all that has been thrown at you.  we humans have a great capacity to survive and thrive thru' all the many hardships that life can heap on us, but often it's easy to forget that and to sort of be a big baby about the lesser challenges - and then we see a friend meet a very serious challenge head on and we are reminded of the grace and strength that does exist in all of us, no matter the difficulties.

Pancake Bunneh
redseawench
Proud Nana
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 12:05:49 pm »

I have been following your sons progress and I must say you are a great example when troubles hit us straight in the face,I hope I will be able to handle any adversity that is thrown my way as well as you have.Thank you for reminding me what is really important in my life.
*hugs*
Red
Izz35178
Cave Gatherer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:52:17 pm »

It makes me happy to know your family (especially your son) is overcoming this tragedy. I'm sure your strength and support in the face of it has been an asset to your family.   
RoseWalker
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »

This is such an inspiring story. I'm so glad your son is doing better!  :love7:
sweetshiver
Cave Gatherer

~ shiver ~

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:44:40 am »

I love this story ... always get teary when I read it *sniffle*

And I'm over the moon about your son's recovery thus far. Continued prayers and well wishes being sent.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month ~ THINK PINK!
Visit www.divine.ca
CLICK TO GIVE A FREE MAMMOGRAM

The Sims 2 Council
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

This site is not endorsed with or affiliated by Electronic Arts, or its licensors.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors.
All rights reserved.
Maxis, Electronic Arts, EA Games, The Sims 2 are registered trademarks and � Copyright Electronic Arts Inc.